Firmwide – Atlanta office
BakerHostetler is recognized as one of the leading law firms in the country. With nearly 950 attorneys located in 14 offices from coast to coast, we’re a great place to work for those who seek personal growth and a collaborative environment.
We deliver the highest quality counsel to our clients, including Boeing, Cardinal Health, Caterpillar Inc., Colgate-Palmolive, E.W. Scripps, Exxon Mobil, Ford Motor Company, KeyCorp and the Progressive Corporation.
Now in our 100th year, the firm maintains the same values as when it was founded a century ago; love and respect for the law, respect for each other, and the courage to make hard decisions on the basis of what we know to be right. Our people help us distinguish our firm through a commitment to the highest standard of client care – and our clients recognize and value this from all of our people.
Our Firmwide Legal Research Services department has an excellent opportunity for a Legal Researcher in the Atlanta office. The Legal Researcher provides support in a traditional and virtual environment along with Legal Research Services staff in other Firm locations. Although part of a larger Firmwide team, this is potentially the only department position dedicated to research in this location. Primary responsibilities include providing reference and research services to internal attorneys and staff, while also assisting Legal Research Services Manager with research training preparation and presentation, depending on needs. Specific duties include the following:
Reference and Research
- Provide both quick reference and in-depth research services using a variety of legal and non-legal resources, determining the appropriate resource to use based on time, cost and user need.
- Conduct in-depth reference interviews with attorneys in order to clarify the subject, scope and purpose of their request.
- Summarize and customize research results in order to meet the specific requirements of the requestor, and report same in centralized research tracking system.
- Utilize electronic and print resources to support practice groups across the Firm, with a projected focus on all aspects of litigation.
- Litigation research support tasks will include creating expert witness profiles, corporate and individual litigation histories/trends, conducting in depth public records searches, judicial and attorney profiles, jury verdict research, and creating, managing and delivering docket and case alerts and searching same. Research may involve other areas in which the Firm practices, including but not limited to bankruptcy, case law research, legislative histories, and statutory and regulatory research and tracking.
- Occasionally assist with competitive intelligence projects by conducting industry and business research and compiling data.
- Provide training assistance in use of legal content collection and commercial databases.
- Assist Legal Research Services Manager in preparing training classes and associated materials for groups and individuals with differing needs and technological skill levels, potentially focused on training for litigation and bankruptcy practitioners.
- Assist summer associates and provide early training in print and online research.
- Assist Legal Research Services Manager in creating research and bibliographical tools (collateral, research guides, checklists, etc.) on legal and business topics.
- Act as liaison to specific practice groups to determine research needs and develop topical research expertise, and assist in building and maintaining research folders within the Firm’s document management system.
- Participate in development of intranet resources, including advising Legal Research Services Manager on content use patterns and practice group needs.
- Keep up to date on changes and developments in information resources and develop knowledge of unique search strategies for each.
- Test new services and products for possible addition to collection.
- Communicate effectively with publishers and other information providers to advance the interests of the firm.
- Share with other staff any comments or feedback received from Legal Research Services patrons.
- Recognize the value of professional networking and actively participate in professional associations and online communities.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in library science or equivalent experience and/or J.D. or MLIS a plus. At least 5 years of experience conducting in-depth research, preferably with specific experience in litigation, and general legal research, including but not limited to statutory, regulatory, interpretive agency documents, legislative histories and case research, preferably in a virtual setting. Law Firm experience desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of a wide variety of print and electronic resources commonly used in a large law firm and consistent ability to determine the appropriate resource based on time and cost requirements. Specific intermediate to advanced skills necessary in resources used for expert witness, litigation analysis, public records, jury verdicts, court document retrieval, docket searching and alerting, and other similar litigation research.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, able to listen and communicate clearly and effectively, ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with co-workers, attorneys, and other support staff.
- A high service level and collaborative mindset, and the ability to interact with a wide variety of users on a professional level.
- The ability to work independently and in a virtual team environment, set priorities, and handle multiple tasks under pressure.
BakerHostetler offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit program. Specific information is provided during the interview process.
- Competitive Salaries
- Performance Bonus Program
- Generous Time Off
- Generous Retirement Program including 401(k) Plan
- Group Health, Dental and Vision Insurance including same-sex domestic partner coverage
- BHealthy Wellness Program
- Life Insurance
- Voluntary Accident Insurance – Self and Family
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Short and Long-Term Disability
- Pre-Tax Benefit Programs
For consideration please send resume to:
Amanda Kelley, Firmwide Human Resources Coordinator/Recruiter
Confidential fax: 216-430-2985
Please visit www.bakerlaw.com for more information about our Firm.